As the trek to the summer body continues I have a perfect recipe that will help you crack on with your goals.
I know what you’re all thinking it’s a salad and I will be hungry… Well it is a salad but it’s filled with very feeling and high in protein ingredients. We have a tuna steak, kidney beans and eggs.
As much as I love tuna I find it a little plain and tastes. In one of the restaurants I used to work back in the day we used to serve tune stakes with this dill, youghurt and cucumber dip which was nice but still in lacked flavour. This is when salsa verde kicks in! So salsa verde isn’t anything new and it has been around for over 2000 years. Apparently Roman legioners brought it to Italy and then it just spread to France and Germany. Anyway enough about history. This sauce has many ingredients that you either love or hate however when put all together it tastes amaaaaaazing! If you are not a fan of anchovies, capers, gherkins or mustard this could be tricky but trust me and be advanterous it will be worth it!!
- 1 tuna steak (grilled, pantried or poached)
- Half of tin of kidney beans
- Handful of frozen peas
- 1 egg (hard boiled)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 of a cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 1 tomato
- 2 handfuls of spinach leafs
- 1/2 of green pepper
- 3 tablespoons of capers
- 3 little cornishons
- 2 anchovies
- Handful of parsley
- Handful of coriander
- Handful of dill
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 8 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Blanch the peas in a boiling water and drain then add kidney beans and spinach leaves. Thinly slice cucumbers and green pepper, peal and dice the avocado, dice tomatoes. Mix all ingredients together and toss with a little bit of olive oil and seasoning, add the quarters of hard boiled egg.
2. Cook the tuna steak to your liking.
3. Chop all the ingredients together and place in a bowl (alternatively you can just give everything a quick blitz in a food processor) addd mustard and vinegar and give it a stir. Pour in the olive oil at the end and mix together. Season with salt and pepper.
Plate up the salad with eggs, tuna and generous helping of salsa verde.