For those of you who are still in the spirit of new year, new me this is a perfect recipe for a guilt free treat. Basically no fat, no flour, and sugar is replaced with honey.
I have tried a similar recipe before just as pancakes but I wasn’t 100% sold on the texture. With few modifications and the use of mighty waffle maker it’s a real treat that is also pleasing to the eye unlike the pancakes I made :/…
Depending on how you like your waffles you can easily modify this recipe. If you like soft and dense texture I suggest to use ground almonds but if you prefer them crispy you can swap almonds to corn meal that also adds beautiful golden colour. You can also make them in a larger batch and reheat in the oven. That way they will crisp up.
So waffle itself is one thing but there is also the topping that has to be an equal match. If I was to have waffles when dining out I always go for whipped cream and berries. I was never really a fan of chocolate or toffee toppings… From the other hand there is banana and Nutella… Ok berries and cream are as good as banana and Nutella… I said it!!!
On this occasion as we are keeping it light and healthy I have topped the waffles with Greek yoghurt (I strongly recommend Total 0%, nothing beats its thick consistency) enhanced with honey and vanilla paste. You won’t even miss the whipped cream… Trust me on that one!! And ofcourse there are berries my two favourite combinations are blueberries and raspberries or blueberries and pomegranate seeds (those work perfectly together)
I hope you will enjoy it and spread the word ;).
For waffles (makes 3):
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of peanut butter
- 50g of ground almonds or corn meal
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of gluten free baking powder
For the topping:
- One small pot of Total 0% Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Berries of your choice
- Brush your waffle maker with some olive oil or frylight and preheat.
- Slice banana into the bowl and add all the other remaining ingredients except the baking powder. Blend together using a hand blender. Once combined stir in the baking powder
- Spoon the mixture into preheated waffle maker and cook until golden. While the waffles are cooking mix the Greek yoghurt with honey and vanilla paste.
- Serve the waffles in a stack with youghurt and berries of your choice